So I applied for a program called ICAN (Interpreter Certification Advancement Network) about a month ago. You had to fill out a paper application and send in a video application as well. As many of you know I am a level one certified sign language interpreter. I am required within four years to become professionally certified or I lose my certification. SO this program is designed to help interpreters in Utah who are in my situation prepare to take their professional test because supposedly (esp for interpreters in Southern Utah) it is impossible to pass! I have had several friends attempt it many times and not be able to pass.
They accepted 15 interpreters from all over Utah to do this program. It is based in SLC which means I will be going up there once a month for a Friday night meeting and then three times during the year I have Immersion Weekends which are Thurs through Sat intense training and no voice. I also meet bi-weekly with an interpreter mentor and a Deaf mentor. This will help a TON to have someone closely mentoring me and evaluating my skills.
Yes, I am nervous because this is as close to school for interpreters as we get down here and I have no professional training as an interpreter. I have a feeling I am in for a beating but we will see. I have had some amazing mentors and help down here so I can't say I have had no help just no interpreter training courses.
I'm a little nervous to drive back and forth from SLC so much but am way excited that my friend from here was accepted also so at least we can car-pool. :) So March4 - Dec 16 my life is going to be crazy busy but hopefully it will pay off.
1 comment:
I am so excited that you were selected! That is such an acomplishment. That will be a blessing to have a friend to travel with. I wish you the best of luck with your program- i know you will break the evil southern utah curse and pass that stinkin test!
Post a Comment