Sunday, January 1, 2012

Expedition St. George

A few weeks ago we had the fun opportunity to run a 50 mile relay race. It was a ton of fun. There were five people on our team and each teammate had to run two legs of differing lengths (from 2 miles to 7 miles each). Our team consisted of myself, Jeff, Teona (sis), Chancie (cuz) and Dan Riding (friend who was an angel and filled in a few days before the race for my aunt who wasn't able to make it- bless his heart and he took the toughest leg- Thanks Dan!).
          We went in with the attitude of let's just go have fun and finish and we actually surprised ourselves and did better than we expected. We ended up fourth out of the co-ed teams. I believe there were fifty teams in all. Like twenty something co-ed teams. There were even a few teams that were just two people- amazing. I have to say my second leg was the toughest race I have ever run in my life! It didn't help that the night before they changed the legs so the one I had trained for wasn't the one I actually ran. Threw me off a little. Anyhow, I must say for having it has hard as it was I was proud of my time- I averaged about an 8 and a half min mile for all 12 of my miles. My goal was a ten min. mile so I'm pretty excited I did well regardless of the tough run. 
        I thought we would have a ton of time in between runs but I couldn't believe there was NO extra time. Between stopping half way through each run to cheer the team mate on and getting our next runner to their place and ready to go we were pretty much running the full time. It turned out to be a really fun run. I'm grateful to my mom for helping with the kids all day so Jeff and I both could run. Couldn't have made it through my runs without Jeff cheering me on and coaching me through it as he ran pieces of it with me. 




No comments: