Thursday, March 3, 2011

Our Story

So I just saw on my friend's blog the story about how her and he husband met and fell in love and I realiized I don't think I have ever fully told that story. And since this is our family journal I think it is important to have that documented so here goes...


Jeff and I met in a class at DSC. Because our birthdays were close together we were put together in the same group and sat at the same table all semester. I was dating another guy at the time so to be honest I wasn't really paying attention to other guys so Jeff was always a friend. I guess my first impression of Jeff came one day when I ran into him at the store one night. Our group had a project to do the next day and he was supposed to cook some cookies. He told me while he was there he was buying the cookies, heading to work all night and somehow going to make the cookies and get to class with no sleep. So I told him I would make the cookies for him since I didn't have to work a graveyard shift. It was no biggie. So I did and we had our project. But the thing that really impressed me was a few days later he came to my work at the mall and brought me flowers (hand-picked) as a thank you for making the cookies for him. I was SUPER impressed. I knew he knew I had a boyfriend at the time so I didn't feel like it was him coming onto me I just felt like it was a genuine thank you. (Funny side-story my bf picked me up that night and I had to hide the flowers... although I knew it was innocent I wasn't sure he would haha).

SO... we finished out the semester I ended up breaking up with my bf in about March for no other reason than one night I was praying and felt a strong prompting that I needed to break up with him. At the time I didn't understand why and I broke up with him but was devastated for weeks. In hindsight I see why now because Jeff and my relationship was on a deadline and it happened in perfect timing or it wouldn't have worked.

Around May I was still wallowing in self-pity and I was sitting in the parking lot of Old Navy feeling bummed and I got a text from Jeff. (I didn't even know there was text back then...) but I remember it being a text and he asked me to come over and hang. So I decided I had to get over this guy and move on (Jeff says he was just my rebound but whatever) So I went over to his friend's house and hung out and it was fun. I forgot to mention that throughout the semester we had been playing indoor soccer together.
      So we went on our first date soon after that and we had Subway sandwiches in the park and I was amazed by how easy Jeff was to talk to and how much everything we talked about kept turning back to the LDS Church. I felt we had a lot of the same interests and I just felt really good about it. I remember thinking that this guy was different than any other guy I had met before. So we continued dating and did the usual progression, dating, holding  hands, first kiss on Zen Wall. Now you have to realize that from our first date until I had to leave was 2 weeks. By the end of the two weeks I was falling in love and Jeff was pretty confident I was "the one." (I like telling the story I can say what I want).
       So the night before I left for Alaska to work for the summer Jeff made this AMAZING dinner for me. I am super naive and he had been asking me all my favorite things through out the week and I didn't realize it was all for this night. It was in his parents backyard, surrounded by a circle of candles, my fav. flowers on the table, fav. color napkin, fav. everything topped off with my all time favorite dessert- Baskin robbins mint chocolate chip ice cream with chocolate on top ( I think he had my heart when he brought that out :). Then he had music playing and we danced in the grass for hours. That was the night I said I love you and left the next morning with a new bf. He also gave me this beautiful CTR ring (a hint.. probably).
     Alaska was fun and really good for our relationship. I have a tendency to push boys away as soon as they start to get close. So my time away was good because even though we had only been dating for two weeks I started to really MISS him. It was crazy cuz we didn't even know each other. But he sent me letters and packages. I started to think k, moving way too fast and started to stress. So one day I went for a run in the woods (it was GORGEOUS there) and knelt down and prayed to Heavenly Father and I was so overcome with peace. My answer was to not stress about it; everything would work out how it was supposed to.
     I came home and Jeff picked me up at the airport (bless his heart my flight was delayed overnight in Seattle so he had to stay in Vegas overnight with just the clothes on his back). We dated for several months then Jeff started talking marriage. I prayed and prayed and just didn't feel like I was getting an answer. One day while I was at the visitor's center I ran into a sister I had been doing splits with and I really respected/loved. She stopped and sat down with me in front of the Christus and one thing she told me really hit home. She said, "You know, it may not be your time right now to serve a mission, you will be able to serve, just maybe not now." I left the Temple visitor's center in tears, I had received my answer. Heavenly Father had been trying to confirm to me that I was supposed to marry Jeff but my stubborn heart was holding to the fact that I was going to serve a mission. Heavenly Father had chosen to speak to me through that beloved Sister missionary. 
      We were engaged the end of October. 


We decided on Spring break for the wedding. Then that seemed too long so we thought maybe in January but the temple was closed so what date did we choose? 

December 30, 2005 was the date we were sealed for time and all eternity in the St. George Utah Temple. What an incredible blessing! 

      We were married for 9 months and I started feeling strongly that we were supposed to have a baby, one day in the temple I talked to Jeff about it and he told me, 'I have been ready all along I was just waiting for you.' So one month later we found out we were pregnant and 9 months later on July 24, 2007 Our little Skylee came to us.


 Followed 2 and a half years later by her little brother on December 12, 2009 Jaston was born. 

     Wow, that was quite the LONG story and believe it or not there was quite a bit left out but that is the essentials. I love my dear eternal companion and am learning from him everyday. I love my children and know that they were meant to come to us and Heavenly Father has a mission for them that I need to help them fulfill. I appreciate His guidance in my life and His influence in helping me find and marry my sweetheart and begin our eternal family. 
   

4 comments:

Kaesha Fry said...

Wow I don't think I have heard the whole story like that before. So precious! You forgot to mention your devastated best friend though. I still remember the day you told me it was going to be the end of Dec. instead of in the spring... I felt like you chopped off years of my life that day ;) But how beautiful it has all turned out. I miss you! Thank you for the great example you and your family are to me.

Burke and Emily Adams said...

I love hearing how people got together. So glad it all worked out for you two! :)

Teria Brooks said...

Wonderful story. I like hearing people's love storys. I want to hear more about how he proposed :)

Wendy said...

Brought tears to my eyes! It makes me realize that I've never typed up our whole story (although we both have journals from it all). You've inspired me to do that now!